Friday, April 5, 2013

A Rare Moment...

So, I'm not one to do several things in this life:

1 - I don't have a lot of time to read.  I don't.  Between a normal 50+ hour week at the day job, school (finishing off my Bachelor's Degree), my own writing career and trying to have some semblance of a social life, reading a book in any way (be it in one sitting or over the course of several days, weeks, whatever) is truly a rarity for me.

2 - I don't normally give reviews, written ones that is.  I will, if I've read the work, give the Author a like on Amazon or give them feedback on any of the numerous Yahoo Lists to which I belong.  But for me to sit down and write out a formal review...on my own blog no less...is truly rare.

3 - I very, very, very rarely pick up an author I've never even remotely heard of and I very, very, very rarely read a book where sex is the majority of the story.  Yes, yes, I know, I write BDSM works.  But, there is a difference between that and straight, 'I'm going to fuck your brains out every chance I get' Erotica.

Back in the day, when I first began this crazy adventure called a writing "career", Erotica was just becoming the hot thing.  Everyone was 'jumping on the band wagon' to pump out page after page after page that was sex scene after sex scene after sex scene.

And I tried it too.  I did.  And I sucked at it!  I really did.  And not in a good way either.  I can admit that, freely, though I did suffer with 'I'm a failure as an Author' syndrome when my works weren't contracted...

Anyway, when I figured out that I needed more to a story - especially the one I was writing - I began floating around with other ideas, giving my characters backstories and building worlds and universes and so on...and I'm happy with that.  I truly am.  I love getting into a characters head - when they let me - seeing what makes them tick and then alternately giving that to you the reader.

At least I hope I do...we'll know more when Book 2 of Blood in the Moon comes out, right?

Right.

So, with all this in mind, I'd like to introduce you to an Author I read today, in ONE sitting, by the name of Iris Astres.  She writes for Loose ID and Ellora's Cave, which should tell you something about her works, yes?  And you'd be right. 

The one I read was Alien Terrain It released not to long ago and it's the story of a very Plain Jane Bard and a very hot Alien by the name of Raj. 

As near as I can tell, this book - like her others from Loose - is set sometime in the future.  Aliens have come to Earth and become the world's prostitutes.  The men mostly, mind you and I have to say, Iris Astres writes one very hot, very lovable Alpha Male!

Now, I won't go on and on about how good the work is.  For what it is, it's very good and left me quite hot and bothered, but not for the reasons you might think. 

It didn't fail for me, so much as left me wanting more of it - but in a completely different way.  As I said above, I like more to a story than just sex or just 'tying someone up' to 'tie them up'.  And in truth, there was enough of the story in Alien Terrain to give you a general idea of the world and so on.  But, to me, they were blips, like commercials.  The kind that make you go, "Hey, I want that, I'm going to add it to my shopping list."

What I think, and please, keep in mind this is only my opinion, Ms. Astres should have done was expand the work.  Give us more than just the sex please.  The concept and ideas she's come up with are excellent and that's the only thing that would have made this a 5-Dildo read for me, instead of just a 4-Dildo one.

Ms. Astres' writing is strong and as I said, she writes a very hot, very lovable Alpha Male in Raj.  But I wanted more.  I wanted his backstory, I wanted to know what drove him to Earth to work in the Body House.  Why did he leave Brackus and why did he even choose the life of a Bod anyway?  I also would have liked to see what brought Earth to the point it was, why/how did Humans get into the situation and so on.

And Ms. Astres' earlier works may have done just that, but that wasn't the one I was reading at the time.  If you're going to have a series then you need to connect them, sure, but also have them stand on their own.  I haven't read any of Ms. Astres' other works, so I have no idea what she's done in them or with them. 

Do I want to?  Maybe.

Would I recommend this work?  No.  Not for a first time read.  If anything, I'd recommend starting with The Body House which seems to be the beginning of the series.

Would I recommend this Author?  Definitely!  As I said, her writing is strong and I fell, hard, for Raj.  If she's half as competent with her other works, then yes, she's definitely worth adding to my 'Watch List'.  Meaning, if something else comes along, I'm more than likely to pick it up and give it a read.  And, please see #1 way up there, as I don't have a lot of time to read, that's an accomplishment by any Author where that's concerned. 

If you make it to my Watch List, you've truly done something rare and beautiful.  You've captured my attention and that is something many have tried and most have failed to do!

So, on that note, I have to give Alien Terrain the official 4-Dildo review and say Kudos to you Ms. Astres.  Now, go back, expand and maybe the re-write - or the next one - will get the Blessed Fifth and most beautiful Golden Dildo!

As always, Keep Reading, Keep Writing and Keep Reaching for Your Dreams, no matter what they are!

Thanks for stopping by.

Lady Blade.

No comments:

Post a Comment